Thursday, January 19, 2012

Photography

I know I know... 2 posts in one night. It didn't seem fair to include this post in the Dentist post so I am just making a second post.

I have been wanting to pick up a hobby besides traveling since funds have decreased with 2 children. I love getting the kids pictures taken but hate paying the price for the professional experience. Plus with a refinished large basement I have plenty of space to set up something small for the kiddos.

I began by asking for a DSLR camera for Christmas. I asked a few of my friends what they preferred and I got a mixed review for Nikon and Canon. I ultimately let Aaron decide between the two brands. Nikon was a bit harder to purchase because of the tsunami. Aaron came through and got me the Nikon D31oo ...especially since it was the only thing I asked for.

Next I purchased a second lens for portraits...50mm 1.8G. I had originally wanted the 1.4 but wasn't ready to spend 400.00 on a lens. Now I am trying to learn how to run the camera in manual mode instead of auto. I thought about enrolling in a photography class at ICCC but with work I thought it would be too tough....plus I didn't want the kids to go to daycare for an hour just so I could go to the class. I found some classes offered in Des Moines at Christian Photo and enrolled. The first class is Jan 31st and is a basic Nikon class... the next class is aperature and shutter speed. They also offer classes on studio lighting and photoshop.

I decided to buy one backdrop and floordrop to get started but still need quite a bit of stuff to really get going. I made a list.......

bean bag (to position babies)
furry fabric (prop)
misc props
camera bag
lighting

I am very excited to start taking pictures of Kinnick and Kara and since Aaron's cousin is having a baby as well I figured she could model as well! My sister Andrea also informed me I could take her Senior pictures since she didn't have patience for our Mom. Fingers crossed that I can figure this out!

2 comments:

  1. OK. .so you are kind of where I have been for the last 1 1/2. . except I haven't taken the next steps in getting to really know my camera! So fill me in on this class you are taking. . how long is it. . where is it at. . i may be interested as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Class is at Des Moines Christian Photo. I have a Nikon camera but they offer a class for Canon as well. They are so knowledgeable there and so kind! The Nikon class is Jan 31st from 530-730 and the cost is 30.00. The second class is on shutter speed and aperature and is Feb 2 same time and also cost 30.00. There is also a lighting class for 100.00 and a photoshop class for 125.00.

    ReplyDelete