Thursday, January 12, 2012

Welcome Baby




Well the last time that I blogged was when Kinnick was a baby so I guess I am due!



Kara Faith Kaufman has arrived! She was born on December 20th and was 6lbs and 7oz. It was kind of a rough ride for this mommy! I was beginning to dilate so we had planned on getting things moving by breaking my water that afternoon. I went in for my regular check up that morning and found out I was at a four but my midwife wanted to do an ultrasound when we got to the hospital.


Aaron and I went and ate lunch and then registered at the hospital. I was contracting when I arrived about every 3 minutes although they really weren't strong enough to feel. When she did the ultrasound we were given the news...BREECH. I was a bit over 38 weeks so if I wanted a version it had to be done that day because otherwise the baby gets too large. We also had the option of going home and waiting to see if she would turn on her own and if not schedule a c-section. For those of you who aren't familiar with a version it is external manipulation to try to turn the baby. We decided that we wanted a version and the next big decision was with or without pain medications. The baby is less sluggish if there are no pain meds so I decided to give it a try. I figured other moms have done it so I got an IV bolus and waited for several hours.


My midwife and Dr. Subhash performed the version along with 3 med students observing and of course Aaron and my mom in the room as well. I defintely had an audience! They tilted my bed so my head was down and then began putting very strong pressure on my abdomen to try to get her to move. She tolerated it well but I began contracting against their attempts so I was given some IV pain medication as well as something to relax my uterus. The next attempts were still unsuccessful. She would move slightly but had no intentions of staying that way. The risk of complications is high after a failed version so I had an emergent c-section. Not what I had planned but it went pretty smooth and everyone was very kind.


The c-section ended up being a blessing in disguise as she had a knot in her cord. It was a loose knot but could have tightened up during a vaginal delivery. She was perfect and I couldn't wait to get back to my room to get a better look at her. Aaron stayed with me while they sutured my incision. She was born at around 7:30 but after all the medications I was soo tired. I was also anemic and my hemoglobin (blood level) got down to 7 so this added to my tiredness.


Like Kinnick, Kara was jaundiced as well. Her levels never got high enough to require a bili blanket but we had to go in for daily blood draws. The hardest thing about the c section was that I was unable to lift Kinnick. I was not supposed to lift him for the total 6 weeks but that is pretty much impossible. Aaron stayed home with me for 2 weeks so I followed my restrictions for 2 weeks. I am feeling much better and have gotten a lot of energy back.


Kara is perfect and has gained all her weight back. When we left the hospital she was 5lbs 14oz and at her 2 week appt she was 6lbs 11oz. She is sleeping about 3 hours at a time and is a good little eater. As far as the big brother... it has been an adjustment having 2 kids but he has been really good. He was ornery before she was born and continues to try our patience during the terrible twos:)

No comments:

Post a Comment